Articles

O'Hare DD- 889 - History

O'Hare DD- 889 - History


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

O'Hare
(DD-889: dp. 2,425; 1. 390'6"; b. 41'1"; dr. 18'6"; s. 32 k. cpl. 367; a. 6 5", 16 40mm., 10 20mm., 5 21" tt., 6 dcp., cl. Gearing)

O'Hare (DD-889) was laid down 27 January 1945 at Consolidated Steel Corp., Orange, Texse launched 22 June 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Selma O'Hare mother of LCDR E. H. O'Hare; and commissioned 29 November 1945, CDR R. W. Leach in command.

In February 1946, following shakedown O'Hare became an active unit of the Navy ready to guard the freedom won during World War II. After spending 1946 in operations ranging from New Brunswiek down to the Florida Keys, she embarked her first group of midshipmen for a cruise to Latin America during the summer of 1947. Departing Norfolk early in May 1948 she sailed to the Mediterranean temporarily eerving under the United Nations' flag as an evacuation ship off Haifa, Palestine, 24 June through July during the first postwar Arab-Israeli confliet. Several goodwill visits took Flace before departure for home in September at the eoneluslon of this first deployment with the Sixth Fleet.

Eight additional such tours of duty, prior to the end of 1962, permitted ship's company to gain a great deal of familiarity with the area. Midshipman cruises and NATO maneuvers added new vistas and dimensions to her training exercises ae did several rescue operations. Twiee in 1952 this destroyer received commendations for her efforts after ships had collided at sea, while in 1957 and again in 1961 aviators from the carriers Randolph and Franklin D. Rooeevell respectively were plucked from the sea. Meanwhile, to update and increase her value to the Navy, O'Hare was converted during 1953 to a radar picket ship (DDR-889) and in 1958 received installation of the eleetronie data system. The next major mod)fieation, in in 1963, a FRAM Mk I overhaul, restored her original designation.

The increasing tempo and scope of eonfliet in Vietnam brought DD-889 an assignment to WestPae duty. Steaming from Norfolk, 1 June 1966, she assumed station as a gun support ship along the coast of Vietnam on 15 July. After firing missions in all four Corps areas in the South and operations off the communist North, O'Hare returned home 17 December via the Suez Canal completing a eireumnavigation of the world. She remained along the East Coast until January 1969 when with Squadron 32 she again deployed to the Mediterranean.


Edward O'Hare

Lieutenant Commander Edward Henry O'Hare (March 13, 1914 – November 26, 1943) was an American naval aviator of the United States Navy, who on February 20, 1942, became the Navy's first flying ace when he single-handedly attacked a formation of nine heavy bombers approaching his aircraft carrier. Even though he had a limited amount of ammunition, he was credited with shooting down five of the enemy bombers and became the first naval recipient of the Medal of Honor in World War II. [1]

O'Hare's final action took place on the night of November 26, 1943, while he was leading the U.S. Navy's first-ever nighttime fighter attack launched from an aircraft carrier. During this encounter with a group of Japanese torpedo bombers, O'Hare's Grumman F6F Hellcat was shot down his aircraft was never found. In 1945, the U.S. Navy destroyer USS O'Hare (DD-889) was named in his honor.

On September 19, 1949, the Chicago-area Orchard Depot Airport was renamed O'Hare International Airport. An F4F Wildcat in a livery identical to the aircraft flown by O'Hare, ("White F-15") is currently on display in Terminal 2. The display was formally opened on the Seventy-fifth anniversary of his Medal of Honor flight. [2]


USS O’Hare DD-889 (1945-1975)

Request a FREE packet and get the best information and resources on mesothelioma delivered to you overnight.

All Content is copyright 2021 | About Us

Attorney Advertising. This website is sponsored by Seeger Weiss LLP with offices in New York, New Jersey and Philadelphia. The principal address and telephone number of the firm are 55 Challenger Road, Ridgefield Park, New Jersey, (973) 639-9100. The information on this website is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to provide specific legal or medical advice. Do not stop taking a prescribed medication without first consulting with your doctor. Discontinuing a prescribed medication without your doctor’s advice can result in injury or death. Prior results of Seeger Weiss LLP or its attorneys do not guarantee or predict a similar outcome with respect to any future matter. If you are a legal copyright holder and believe a page on this site falls outside the boundaries of "Fair Use" and infringes on your client’s copyright, we can be contacted regarding copyright matters at [email protected]


Contents

1946� [ edit ]

In February 1946, following shakedown, O'Hare became an active unit of the Navy. After spending 1946 in operations ranging from New Brunswick down to the Florida Keys, she embarked her first group of midshipmen for a cruise to Latin America during the summer of 1947. Departing Norfolk, Virginia, early in May 1948 she sailed to the Mediterranean temporarily serving under the United Nations' flag as an evacuation ship off Haifa, Israel, from 24 June through July, during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. Several goodwill visits took place before departure for home in September at the conclusion of this first deployment with the Sixth Fleet.

Eight additional such tours of duty, prior to the end of 1962, permitted ship's company to gain a great deal of familiarity with the area. Midshipman cruises and NATO maneuvers added new vistas and dimensions to her training exercises as did several rescue operations. Twice in 1952 this destroyer received commendations for her efforts after ships had collided at sea, while in 1957 and again in 1961 aviators from the carriers Randolph and Franklin D. Roosevelt respectively were plucked from the sea. Meanwhile, to update and increase her value to the Navy, O'Hare was converted during 1953 to a radar picket ship (DDR-889) and in 1958 received installation of the electronic data system. The next major modification, in 1963, a FRAM Mk I overhaul, restored her original designation.

1963� [ edit ]

The increasing tempo and scope of the Vietnam War brought O'Hare an assignment to WestPac duty. Steaming from Norfolk, on 1 June 1966, she assumed station as a gun support ship along the coast of Vietnam on 15 July, firing missions in all four Corps areas in the South. O'Hare served as plane guard for aircraft carriers on "Yankee Station" in the Gulf of Tonkin, participated in "Sea Dragon" operations, patrolled on search and rescue duties off North Vietnam. O'Hare returned home on 17 December via the Suez Canal, completing a circumnavigation of the world. In March 1968, along with USS Charles R. Ware from Mayport, O'Hare deployed to the Indian Ocean via Africa and made 17 port calls in the Middle East. In January 1969 with Destroyer Squadron 32 (DesRon㺠) she again deployed to the Mediterranean.

O'Hare deployed to Vietnam on 1 December 1972, remaining on gunfire support duty there until the cease fire of March 1973. She then became the last U.S. Navy ship based on the United States East Coast to circumnavigate the world after a Vietnam deployment during her return to the United States. She became a "blue-nosed" ship during the voyage when she crossed the Arctic Circle on 17 September 1972, and passed through the Panama Canal on 6 December 1972.

O'Hare was decommissioned on 31 October 1973, and transferred on loan to the Spanish Navy. The ship was struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 2 June 1975.


O'Hare DD- 889 - History

(DD-889: dp. 2,425 l. 390'6" b. 41'1" dr. 18'6" s. 32 k. cpl. 367 a. 6 5", 16 40mm., 10 20mm., 5 21" tt., 6 dcp., cl. Gearing)

O'Hare (DD-889) was laid down 27 January 1945 at Consolidated Steel Corp., Orange, Texas launched 22 June 1945 sponsored by Mrs. Selma O'Hare mother of LCDR E. H. O'Hare and commissioned 29 November 1945, CDR R. W. Leach in command.

In February 1946, following shakedown O'Hare became an active unit of the Navy ready to guard the freedom won during World War II. After spending 1946 in operations ranging from New Brunswick down to the Florida Keys, she embarked her first group of midshipmen for a cruise to Latin America during the summer of 1947. Departing Norfolk early in May 1948 she sailed to the Mediterranean temporarily serving under the United Nations' flag as an evacuation ship off Haifa, Palestine, 24 June through July during the first postwar Arab-Israeli conflict. Several goodwill visits took place before departure for home in September at the conclusion of this first deployment with the Sixth Fleet.

Eight additional such tours of duty, prior to the end of 1962, permitted ship's company to gain a great deal of familiarity with the area. Midshipman cruises and NATO maneuvers added new vistas and dimensions to her training exercises as did several rescue operations. Twice in 1952 this destroyer received commendations for her efforts after ships had collided at sea, while in 1957 and again in 1961 aviators from the carriers Randolph and Franklin D. Roosevelt respectively were plucked from the sea. Meanwhile, to update and increase her value to the Navy, O'Hare was converted during 1953 to a radar picket ship (DDR-889) and in 1958 received installation of the electronic data system. The next major modification, in 1963, a FRAM Mk I overhaul, restored her original designation.

The increasing tempo and scope of conflict in Vietnam brought DD-889 an assignment to WestPac duty. Steaming from Norfolk, 1 June 1966, she assumed station as a gun support ship along the coast of Vietnam on 15 July. After firing missions in all four Corps areas in the South and operations off the communist North, O'Hare returned home 17 December via the Suez Canal completing a circumnavigation of the world. She remained along the East Coast until January 1969 when with Squadron 32 she again deployed to the Mediterranean.


--> O'Hare, Edward Henry, 1914-1943

Lieutenant Commander Edward Henry O'Hare (March 13, 1914 – November 26, 1943) was an American naval aviator of the United States Navy, who on February 20, 1942, became the Navy's first flying ace when he single-handedly attacked a formation of nine heavy bombers approaching his aircraft carrier. Even though he had a limited amount of ammunition, he was credited with shooting down five of the enemy bombers and became the first naval recipient of the Medal of Honor in World War II.

O'Hare's final action took place on the night of November 26, 1943, while he was leading the U.S. Navy's first-ever nighttime fighter attack launched from an aircraft carrier. During this encounter with a group of Japanese torpedo bombers, O'Hare's Grumman F6F Hellcat was shot down his aircraft was never found. In 1945, the U.S. Navy destroyer USS O'Hare (DD-889) was named in his honor.

On September 19, 1949, the Chicago-area Orchard Depot Airport was renamed O'Hare International Airport. An F4F Wildcat in a livery identical to the aircraft flown by O'Hare, ("White F-15") is currently on display in Terminal 2. The display was formally opened on the Seventy-fifth anniversary of his Medal of Honor flight.


O'Hare DD- 889 - History

Circa 1966 during the O'Hare's first cruise to Vietnam (WESTPAC).

Circa 1966 during the O'Hare's first cruise to Vietnam (WESTPAC).

Circa 1966 during the O'Hare's first cruise to Vietnam (WESTPAC).

Circa 1966 during the O'Hare's first cruise to Vietnam (WESTPAC).

Circa 1966 during the O'Hare's first cruise to Vietnam (WESTPAC).


USS O'Hare (DDR-889) and DESRON 26 at Norfolk 1960.
Courtesy of Jim Simmons


Obituary

Edward Henry "Butch" O'Hare was born in St. Louis, Missouri, the son of Selma Anna (Lauth) and Edward Joseph O'Hare. He was of Irish and German descent. Butch had two sisters, Patricia and Marilyn. When their parents divorced in 1927, Butch and his sisters stayed with their mother Selma in St. Louis while their father Edward moved to Chicago. Butch's father was a lawyer who worked closely with Al Capone before turning against him and helping convict Capone of tax evasion.

Butch O'Hare graduated from the Western Military Academy in 1932. The following year, he went on to the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland. Graduated and appointed an Ensign on June 3, 1937, he served two years on board the battleship USS New Mexico (BB-40). In 1939, he started flight training at NAS Pensacola in Florida, learning the basics on Naval Aircraft Factory N3N-1 "Yellow Peril" and Stearman NS-1 biplane trainers, and later on the advanced SNJ trainer. On the nimble Boeing F4B-4A, he trained in aerobatics as well as aerial gunnery. He also flew the SBU Corsair and the TBD Devastator.

In November 1939, his father was shot to death, most likely by Al Capone's gunmen. During Capone's tax evasion trial in 1931 and 1932, O'Hare's father had provided incriminating evidence which helped finally put Capone away. There is speculation that this was done to ensure that Butch got into the Naval Academy, or to set a good example it certainly at least partly involved an attempt to distance himself from Capone's activities. Whatever the motivation, the elder O'Hare was shot down in his car, a week before Capone was released from incarceration.

… Designated a Naval Aviator in May 1940, after flight training at Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Florida, he was ordered to Fighter Squadron Three (VF-3) on board USS Saratoga. In June, O'Hare was promoted to Lieutenant Junior Grade. In early 1941, while Saratoga underwent maintenance, the squadron temporarily transferred to USS Enterprise. In September, VF-3 departed for duty with Saratoga in the Pacific. In January 1942, after that carrier was struck by a Japanese torpedo off Hawaii, the squadron relocated to USS Lexington. During this time, O'Hare was temporarily promoted to Lieutenant.

On 20 February 1942, while defending Lexington in a F4F "Wildcat" fighter, O'Hare encountered an advancing formation of nine Japanese bombers east of the enemy base at Rabaul, New Britain. Alone and unaided, he repeatedly attacked the enemy aircraft and was credited with shooting down five of them, and damaging a sixth, before they reached their intended target. For his "conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity" on this occasion, O'Hare was meritoriously promoted to Lieutenant Commander in April 1942 and was awarded the Medal of Honor. Returning to the U.S., he embarked on several war bond tours throughout the country. In June, he assumed command of Fighting Squadron Three (VF-3) and served at Maui, Hawaii, instructing pilots in combat tactics.

In mid-1943, O'Hare commanded Fighting Squadron Six (VF-6) [re-designated from VF-3 in July], flying F6F "Hellcat" fighters from the aircraft carrier Independence during raids against Japanese bases in the central Pacific. In November, as Air Group Six commander on USS Enterprise, O'Hare participated in the Gilbert Islands invasion. On 26 November 1943, O'Hare volunteered to lead a night interception mission against enemy aircraft attacking his task group. His plane was apparently shot down in the ensuing aerial battle, and Lieutenant Commander O'Hare was lost. In memory of the fallen aviator, Chicago's Orchard Depot Airport was renamed O'Hare International Airport in September 1949. Edward H. O'Hare is listed on the "Wall of the Missing" at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific at Honolulu, Hawaii.

USS O'Hare (DD/DDR-889), 1945-1973, was named in honor of Lieutenant Commander Edward H. O'Hare.

His wife was listed as next of kin. Wikipedia's entry includes mention of a daughter, Kathleen, who was born in January or February of 1943.


Military

O'Hare (DD-889) was laid down 27 January 1945 at Consolidated Steel Corp., Orange, Texas launched 22 June 1945 sponsored by Mrs. Selma O'Hare mother of LCDR E. H. O'Hare and commissioned 29 November 1945, CDR R. W. Leach in command.

In February 1946, following shakedown O'Hare became an active unit of the Navy ready to guard the freedom won during World War II. After spending 1946 in operations ranging from New Brunswick down to the Florida Keys, she embarked her first group of midshipmen for a cruise to Latin America during the summer of 1947. Departing Norfolk early in May 1948 she sailed to the Mediterranean temporarily serving under the United Nations' flag as an evacuation ship off Haifa, Palestine, 24 June through July during the first postwar Arab-Israeli conflict. Several goodwill visits took place before departure for home in September at the conclusion of this first deployment with the Sixth Fleet.

Eight additional such tours of duty, prior to the end of 1962, permitted ship's company to gain a great deal of familiarity with the area. Midshipman cruises and NATO maneuvers added new vistas and dimensions to her training exercises as did several rescue operations. Twice in 1952 this destroyer received commendations for her efforts after ships had collided at sea, while in 1957 and again in 1961 aviators from the carriers Randolph and Franklin D. Roosevelt respectively were plucked from the sea. Meanwhile, to update and increase her value to the Navy, O'Hare was converted during 1953 to a radar picket ship (DDR-889) and in 1958 received installation of the electronic data system. The next major modification, in 1963, a FRAM Mk I overhaul, restored her original designation.

The increasing tempo and scope of conflict in Vietnam brought DD-889 an assignment to WestPac duty. Steaming from Norfolk, 1 June 1966, she assumed station as a gun support ship along the coast of Vietnam on 15 July. After firing missions in all four Corps areas in the South and operations off the communist North, O'Hare returned home 17 December via the Suez Canal completing a circumnavigation of the world. She remained along the East Coast until January 1969 when with Squadron 32 she again deployed to the Mediterranean.


Contents

1946� [ edit | edit source ]

In February 1946, following shakedown, O'Hare became an active unit of the Navy. After spending 1946 in operations ranging from New Brunswick down to the Florida Keys, she embarked her first group of midshipmen for a cruise to Latin America during the summer of 1947. Departing Norfolk, Virginia, early in May 1948 she sailed to the Mediterranean temporarily serving under the United Nations' flag as an evacuation ship off Haifa, Israel, from 24 June through July, during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. Several goodwill visits took place before departure for home in September at the conclusion of this first deployment with the Sixth Fleet.

Eight additional such tours of duty, prior to the end of 1962, permitted ship's company to gain a great deal of familiarity with the area. Midshipman cruises and NATO maneuvers added new vistas and dimensions to her training exercises as did several rescue operations. Twice in 1952 this destroyer received commendations for her efforts after ships had collided at sea, while in 1957 and again in 1961 aviators from the carriers Randolph (CV-15) and Franklin D. Roosevelt (CV-42) respectively were plucked from the sea. Meanwhile, to update and increase her value to the Navy, O'Hare was converted during 1953 to a radar picket ship (DDR-889) and in 1958 received installation of the electronic data system. The next major modification, in 1963, a FRAM Mk I overhaul, restored her original designation.

1963� [ edit | edit source ]

The increasing tempo and scope of the Vietnam War brought DD-889 an assignment to WestPac duty. Steaming from Norfolk, on 1 June 1966, she assumed station as a gun support ship along the coast of Vietnam on 15 July, firing missions in all four Corps areas in the South. O'Hare served as plane guard for aircraft carriers on "Yankee Station" in the Gulf of Tonkin, participated in "Sea Dragon" operations, patrolled on search and rescue duties off North Vietnam. O'Hare returned home on 17 December via the Suez Canal, completing a circumnavigation of the world. In March 1968, along with the USS Charles Ware (DD865) from Mayport, O'Hare deployed to the Indian Ocean via Africa and made 17 port calls in the Middle East. In January 1969 with Destroyer Squadron 32 (DesRon㺠) she again deployed to the Mediterranean.

O'Hare deployed to Vietnam on 1 December 1972, remaining on gunfire support duty there until the cease fire of March 1973. She then became the last U.S. Navy ship based on the United States East Coast to circumnavigate the world after a Vietnam deployment during her return to the United States. She became a "blue-nosed" ship during the voyage when she crossed the Arctic Circle on 17 September 1972, and passed through the Panama Canal on 6 December 1972. O'Hare was decommissioned on 31 October 1973, and transferred on loan to the Spanish Navy. The ship was struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 2 June 1975.


Watch the video: The Importance of JVs at OHare (July 2022).


Comments:

  1. Spangler

    Exactly! It is the excellent idea. I keep him.

  2. Kazil

    In my opinion it has already been discussed



Write a message